HPP Team Makes Strides in 2023: Communication, Equity, and Healthy Communities Win Big
The Health Policy and Planning (HPP) team had a year to remember in 2023, achieving impactful feats across communications, health equity, and healthy schools and communities.
Health Equity: A key partnership with El Concilio paved the way for a multi-organization collaboration model. Internally, the PHPP Equity Plan established division-wide equity priorities, and public awareness was raised through bilingual videos (English and Spanish) showcasing PHPP’s role and resident engagement opportunities.
Healthy Schools and Communities: Safer streets for students were championed through roundabout construction in East Palo Alto. Redwood City Together secured $500,000 to sustain children’s health initiatives, and school cafeteria promotions introduced over 1,000 students to local, healthy foods.
Looking ahead to 2024, the HPP team is primed for further progress:
- Voter engagement toolkit for November elections.
- Public health program video series.
- Supporting a community health improvement collaborative.
- Advancing equity through training and resource delivery.
- Expanding Park Rx to city parks for increased accessibility and nature time.
- Piloting a Food as Medicine program to address food insecurity.
The HPP team’s 2023 successes mark a significant step towards a healthier future for all. Their relentless pursuit of communication, equity, and community well-being promises even greater accomplishments in the year to come.