Healthy Food Take Action
- Support community-based efforts to increase access to
healthy, affordable food sources, and reduce the
availability and consumption of sugary drinks.
- Join the San Mateo County Food System Alliance to
promote and support a sustainable food system.
- Support city planning and zoning efforts to promote urban
agriculture in neighborhoods or encourage your city to implement
statewide legislation to dedicate private land to urban farming,
such as Assembly Bill 551passed in 2013. See the San
Mateo County Food System Alliance’s report to “Promote Urban
Agriculture in North Fair Oaks and San Mateo County through AB
- Conduct an assessment of your neighborhood’s food environment
and present results to local decision makers to support the
implementation of solutions that increase healthy food options.
- Support other efforts to promote access to healthy food
options such as working with mobile mobile vendors to increase
the amount of healthy food sold near schools, parks, community
centers, and high-need areas.
- Increase financial access to healthy food and local fresh
produce for low-income populations by incentivizing purchase
of locally grown fruits and vegetables at local corner and
- Initiate a healthy corner store project to increase healthy
food and drinks in local stores.
- Build community support such as through petitions, community
forums, and meetings for policies that reduce consumption of
sugary drinks, such as requiring water or milk as default drinks
with kids meals.
- Reduce availability and consumption of sugary drinks by
engaging low-income youth and neighborhoods in dialog around the
impact of sugar sweetened beverage consumption, in making policy
recommendations for change, and advancing the recommendations.