Looking for Solutions?
Use the 5 P's of Healthy Housing
The health consequences of housing instability and displacement are broad and deep, and require a comprehensive approach. Fortunately, there are a many solutions to address our community’s diverse housing challenges. Policymakers and residents have access to tools to counteract the effects of instability and displacement before it starts and after it has begun.
- Protection of existing residents
- Preservation of existing housing at all affordability levels
- Production of new housing units at a diversity of affordability levels
- Participation of residents and community leaders in decision-making processes that impact their housing stability
- Placement of housing near transit, jobs and amenities
There is no silver bullet to addressing our housing crisis. These principles are a starting point for cities and communities in San Mateo County to limit housing instability and improve the health of our residents. We need a comprehensive approach to tackle all the challenges to housing stability in order to create a stable environment for residents.