Small Business Employees
Small business employees are those who work at businesses with less than 50 employees. Small businesses provide essential goods and services for neighborhood residents and provide employment for local residents, which is an essential aspect of community health. (Sutton S. Rethinking Commercial Revitalization: A Neighborhood Small Business Perspective. Economic Development Quarterly. 2010;24:352-371; Feinstein J. The Relationship Between Socioeconomic Status and Health: A Review of the Literature. Milbank Quarterly. 1993;71:279–322;Yen H and Syme L. The Social Environment and Health: A Discussion of the Epidemiologic Literature. Annual Review of Public Health. 1999;20:287–308.).
- There are 92,722 employees working in small businesses (businesses with less than 50 employees) in San Mateo County.
- Whites make up 41% of the San Mateo County population but 66% of employees working in small businesses.
- Asian and Pacific Islanders are under-represented in the small business sector, compared to their percentage of the population in the county.
- Data were obtained from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2014 Quarterly Workforce Indicators using QWI Explorer.
- Quarterly Workforce Indicators data were compiled from state administrative data and combined with other U.S. Census Bureau.
- Data were based on estimates which have some chance of error.
- Estimates are not available for Latinos.