Home ownership refers to households that are occupied by their owners.1 Home ownership helps prevent displacement of individuals from their communities and promotes social support systems.2
- In San Mateo County, 59% of households are owner-occupied.
- Homeowners with a mortgage spend about $3,150 a month on housing, while owners without a mortgage pay $600 a month on housing costs.
- There is a high percentage of homeownership in Pacifica, Montara, Moss Beach, Hillsborough, Woodside, Atherton, and Portola Valley.
- Data were obtained from U.S. Census Bureau’s 2009-2013 American Community Survey 5-year Estimates at American FactFinder.
- Data were mapped using ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Online.
- Data included all households.
- Approximately 295,000 households are selected to participate in the annual American Community Survey, or less than 1 percent of all households in the U.S.
- Data were estimates based on survey responses, and not actual counts.
- Estimates have some chance of error.